Ukraine Family Scheme
Under the Ukraine Family Scheme, you can apply to join family members in the UK; applications are free to apply to and you do not need to pay the immigration health surcharge
To be eligible to apply to the Ukraine Family Scheme you must:
- be applying to join or accompany your UK-based family member who should be either a British national or who is settled (ILR or EU Permanent Residency/EUSS settled status) in the UK
- someone who has pre-settled status under the EUSS if they started living in the UK before 1 January 2021 (you might also be eligible for the EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit if you are the family member of someone who is living in the UK with settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme and you can choose which to apply for as both are free).
- someone with refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
Your UK-based family member must be one of the following:
- an immediate family member – spouse or civil partner/unmarried partner (you must have been living together in a relationship for at least two years)/child who is under 18/parent (if you are under 18)/fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner
- Extended family member – parent (if you are over 18)/child who is over 18/grandparent/grandchild or your partner’s grandchild/brother or sister
- Immediate family member of an extended family member – spouse or civil partner of an extended family member/child under 18 of an extended family member/parent of a child under 18 who is an extended family member/fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of an extended family member
- Additionally, you may also be eligible if you are a Ukrainian or the immediate family member of a Ukrainian national who is applying to the scheme and have been residing in Ukraine prior to 1 January 2022 (including those who have now left Ukraine)
NB – where your UK-based family member is a spouse, civil partner, fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner the relationship must have started before 1 January 2022. Any other family members will only be considered where there are exceptional circumstances.
Your visa will last up to 3 years, and you must apply online for the Ukraine Family Scheme at https://apply.visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/country-selection. You will need to await a decision from UKVI on your application before travel, but applications made under the scheme will be prioritised. Before a decision is made you will need to attend a Visa Application Centre (VAC); there is a temporary VAC for people applying for the Ukraine Family Scheme in Rzeszow, Poland but you can apply at a VAC in any country, if you are able to travel safely.
NB you will need your passport however but if you don’t have one, you can still apply but will need to explain why. See: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-for-a-ukraine-family-scheme-visa