UK Marriage Visit Visa
The UK marriage visit visa is a type of visa that allows a non-UK citizen to come to the UK to get married to a British citizen or settled person (i.e. someone who has ILR or EU Settled Status). The visa is valid for up to 6 months, and you must leave the UK on or before the expiry date.
To be eligible for a UK marriage visit visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be 18 or over.
- You must be free to give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival.
- You must be in a genuine relationship with your partner.
- You must be visiting the UK for less than 6 months.
- You must leave the UK at the end of your visit.
- You must not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK your main home.
- You must be able to support yourself during your trip (or have funding from someone else to support you)
- You must be able to pay for your return or onward journey (or have funding from someone else to pay for the journey)
The application process for a UK marriage visit visa can be complex and time-consuming. It is important to carefully gather all of the required documents and to make sure that you meet all of the eligibility requirements. You can find more information about the application process on the UK government website.
Here are some of the key documents that you will need to apply for a UK marriage visit visa:
- A valid passport or travel document
- A copy of your partner’s UK immigration status (e.g. a copy of their passport, ILR card, or EU Settled Status certificate)
- Proof of your relationship with your partner (e.g. photographs, emails, letters)
- Proof of your travel arrangements (e.g. flight tickets, hotel reservations)
- Proof of your financial means (e.g. bank statements, pay slips)
The processing time for a UK marriage visit visa application can vary, but it is typically around 6 weeks. If your application is successful, you will be granted a visa that is valid for up to 6 months.
If you are planning to apply for a UK marriage visit visa, it is important to get professional advice from an immigration lawyer. They can help you to make sure that your application is complete and that you meet all of the eligibility requirements.
Here are some additional things to keep in mind about the UK marriage visit visa:
- You cannot work or study in the UK on a marriage visit visa.
- You cannot bring your children with you on a marriage visit visa.
- You cannot extend your stay in the UK on a marriage visit visa.
- If you want to live in the UK you will be required to leave the UK and make an application ofr a Spouse visa from your country of residence.
The marriage visit visa is a great way to come to the UK to get married to your partner. However, it is important to be aware of the limitations of the visa before you apply.
Would you like some support? We can help you
If you would like to know more about how we can help you and your partner apply for a Marriage visa or if you would like to know more about the process through to settlement please call us.