About Indefinite Leave to Remain
Considered perhaps the most important application for seasoned migrants who want to apply for British nationality, Indefinite Leave to Remain has to be one of the more complex applications.
Moving from restricted visas into a settlement route which is the precursor to Nationality, settlement permits you to live, work and travel freely without restrictions. All people under the family or working categories leading to Settlement must go through the Indefinite Leave to Remain application process before they can apply for Nationality.
How we can help
Indefinite Leave to Remain is open to anyone who has held a family or working visa for five years and can demonstrate continuous residency for that term. Additionally, there are other varied requirements to be met and some which derive from the conditions of the visa class you are applying from.
To apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK, you must first meet the eligibility requirements.
Once you have determined that you are eligible, you can begin the application process. The application process is different depending on your circumstances. For example, if you are applying for ILR as a family member of a British citizen or settled person, you will need to complete a different application form than if you are applying for ILR as a worker.
The general application process for ILR is as follows:
- Complete the relevant application form.
- Pay the application fee.
- Provide the required documentation.
- Book an appointment at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) center to provide your biometric information (your fingerprints and a photo).
- Attend your appointment at the UKVCAS center.
- Wait for your application to be processed.
The processing time for ILR applications can vary, but it typically takes several months. You will be notified of the outcome of your application by email.
If your application is successful, you will be granted ILR. This means that you will have the right to live and work in the UK indefinitely. You will also be able to apply for a British passport if you wish.
Here are some additional things to keep in mind when applying for ILR:
- You must be able to prove that you have been living in the UK legally for the required period of time.
- You must be able to speak English and have a basic understanding of life in the UK.
- You must be of good character.
- You must not have any criminal convictions.
If you are not sure if you are eligible for ILR, you can contact the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) helpline for more information.
Exploring your options
- We provide an initial ‘preliminary’ virtual meeting to establish yours and your partner’s intentions, your history together as well as some basic advice and timelines. If you would like the assurance of whether you meet the rules we can provide an in-depth review of your circumstances during a consultation.
Educating you on the steps
- The consultation will assess whether you meet the full criteria of Indefinite Leave to Remain. This process can be quite complex depending on which visa route you went through.
- If we are not satisfied that you meet the requirements at this stage we may ask to review documentation to evidence your eligibility before proceeding to offer our representation services. Our firm will not take on an application if we feel it will fail.
Preparing your case
- Our service offer will set out the process and opinion of making a Settlement application along with the relevant fees and process.
- Following our offer and after engagement we will provide a tailored list of specific documentation and will review the documentation against meeting the settlement requirements.
- Upload the finalised information to the online visa application and submit the finalised document bundle along with our Cover Letter which sets out your eligibility and how you meet it.
Supporting you on the way
- General on-hand support during the whole process.
- Liaise with UKVI officials should further enquiries be made. This could be due to having a previous Immigration history, or UKVI may make further enquiries if the application is of a complex nature, particularly residency relating to time spent outside the UK.
Find out how we can help.
We would be happy to help you get through this milestone.
Indefinite Leave to Remain FAQ
In order to qualify for Settlement you must pass the Knowledge of Language and life in the UK (KoLL) This requirement is split in two areas; English Language; you must be able to prove that you have adequate English language proficiency by either passing an English language test at CEFR Level B1 or meeting the English Language requirement through other means. All applicants must sit the Life in the UK Test, by passing this test you show you have demonstrable knowledge of the UK. The test is available locally to you and is a multiple choice test which usually lasts 30 minutes.