Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)
Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) permits you to live and work without restriction, in the United Kingdom. You are also permitted to exit and re-enter the UK multiple times, with further rights to public funds. However, Indefinite Leave to Remain is only valid in the UK, it does not permit you the right to enter any of the European states.
You may be permitted to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) under the following routes:
- You must complete a 3/5 year term under a spouse, civil and un–married partner visa.
- Once you have completed five Years on an Ancestry Visa UK.
- Once you have completed five years in a work related visa (Tier 2 Intra Company Transfer does not lead to settlement).
- There may be an opportunity for accelerated settlement after 3 years if you are a Tier 1 Investor or Tier 1 Entrepreneur.
Indefinite Leave to Remain – Basic Requirements
- You must pass the Life in the UK test.
- Unless otherwise exempted you must pass an English Language Test at level B1 CEFR or higher.
- You must complete the full term in you route leading to settlement.
- If you have joined your partner and applying through the family route you must demonstrate your relationship continues to subsist.
- If you are applying for Settlement under the Tier 2 route, you will need to meet the minimum salary threshold requirement, this threshold changes incrementally on an annual basis. For more information please go to Tier 2 salary threshold for ILR.
- You may apply in the UK via the UKVI website.
- The processing time for settlement via the postal route is up to 6 months.
- Subject to availability, you may apply at the Public Service Centre, the processing time is up to 48 hours.
- Indefinite Leave to Remain allows you to live in the UK for an indefinite period without restrictions.
- You may enjoy unrestricted employment.
- You can apply to Naturalise after holding 1 year in the ILR category.
- In some cases you can apply to Naturalise prior to holding ILR for 1 year.