If you would like to know more about our Permanent Residency and Naturalisation package please call our team on 0207 836 8505.

Certificate of Permanent Residency

A certificate of Permanent Residency is a settlement status under the EEA Regulations 2006/ 2016, and is open to EEA Nationals, only. Like Indefinite Leave to Remain, EEA Nationals are required to live and work in the UK ‘Continuously’ for a period of 5 years or more before they qualify.

Certificate of Permanent Residency Requirements

  • You must be an EEA National. For non-EEA Family Members applying for a Permanent Residence Card please click here
  • You must show you have been exercising your treaty rights as a ‘qualified person’ in the UK for the full 5 year term.
  • Qualified person is defined in the EEA Regulations 2016 as a; Job Seeker, Worker, Self Employed Person, Self Sufficient Person or Student.
  • Continuity of residence is not broken from a leave of absence for 6 months or less per year. Anything more than 6 months may be considered as a break of leave, unless there are legitimate reasons for your absence such as maternity leave.
  • Unlike Indefinite Leave to Remain, you do not need to sit the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK test in order to qualify for a Certificate of Permanent Residency. However you will be required to fulfil the requirement should you wish to go on to Naturalise as a British citizen.

Certificate of Permanent Residency Process

  • You can keep your passport while your application is being processed by using the European Passport Return Service.
  • The fee for this service is approximately £10 per applicant.
  • Otherwise, all EEA applications are considered via the postal and premium route.
  • The processing fee is £65 per applicant.
  • The application may take up to 6 months to process.

Key information

  • An EEA National is now required to successfully apply for a Certificate of Permanent Residency before applying to Naturalise.
  • There is more flexibility within the EEA Regulations 2016 compared to the UK rules for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

EEA Nationals who currently hold a Certificate of Permanent Residency, may be required to switch into a new ‘Settled Status’ in order to qualify to Naturalise.

  • If you have been in the UK for more than 6 years as a qualified person you may be eligible to Naturalise immediately after your application for a Certificate of Permanent Residency has been approved.
Registered in England 04011191.
OISC Number: F200400098.
Website by jantsDesign Ltd