Resident Labour Market Test
The Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT) demonstrates to the Home Office that the UK labour market has not been disadvantaged or devalued when UK employers recruit skills from outside the European Economic Area. In order to carry out the RLMT, the employer is required to conduct a visible advertising campaign for the appointment for a period of 28 days.
Many businesses fail to complete the test accurately. In some cases the process has to be started again setting your recruitment back another 28 days. Getting good advice from the start will enable you to keep to tight deadlines.
Businesses can advertise online through the following portals:
You must ensure you are advertising to the UK Labour Market. The RLMT must be conducted online via public ‘free to access’ job sites such as Jobcentre plus, in addition to another recruitment publication. If the employer is unable to identify a UK resident for the vacancy during the 28 day period, the appointment has passed the RLMT and the employer may be issued a Certificate of Sponsorship in the restricted category.
Resident Labour Market Test exemptions
- Extending your current Tier 2 Skilled Worker visa in country and working in the same occupation and for the same sponsor.
- The job falls under the Shortage Occupation List.
- Post Study Work.
- High value earners; if your total salary package is £155,300 or more.
- You are on Academic Leave.
- Undertaking supernumerary research positions.
- Postgraduate doctors and dentists in speciality training.
Our experienced Business Immigration Team can guide you through all aspects of the application process, from applying for a Tier 2 Employer Sponsor Licence right through to the migrants tier 2 visa application.