Certificate of Sponsorship UK
Who needs to be sponsored?
It is a visa requirement that a Certificate of Sponsorship is issued to an individual applying for a skilled worker visa to work in the UK for a licenced sponsor.
In order to sponsor an overseas migrant in the Skilled Worker category, the approved sponsor (employer) must hold an Employer Sponsor Licence. A Skilled Worker CoS may be allocated to a Licenced Sponsor following a successful request to the UKVI via the Sponsorship Management System. The Certificate of Sponsorship holds personal information and details about the job the overseas national will be undertaking here in the United Kingdom. Once awarded and available on a Licence, a Certificate may then be assigned to the migrant worker. Each Certificate of Sponsorship has a unique number specific to the employer and terms of employment.
Assigning a Certificate of Sponsrship
- Before you login to the sponsor management system and assign the CoS you must accurately code the vacant appointment.
- Once you are satisfied you have allocated the right coding a Level 1 User can access the sponsor management system and assign a Certificate of Sponsorship.
- Once the certificate has been assigned and paid for, the migrant may apply for the Skilled Worker Visa. Please note, without a valid certificate of sponsorship the visa application will be refused.
When small mistakes in the process can cause long delays…
All of the following can cause delays to on-boarding your chosen migrant.
- Miscalculating overarching salary thresholds or working hours.
- Failing to keep track of revised salary expectations.
- Basing a job code or Standard Occupational Classification code on a preferential salary range, rather than the duties discharged by the appointment. All of the above can raise questions of the credibility and genuineness of the sponsorship, which may ultimately cause delays.
We can help you avoid these mistakes…
- We establish the appropriate Job coding
- Advice on issuing the right type of CoS
- Guidance points-based visa requirements
- Ensure your supporting documents are compliant with the Home Office citeria.
- Assignment of Certificate of Sponsorship for first time applicants and extensions
Find out how we can help you.
When technical errors can cause significant delays in critical timelines and additional costs. Our way of dealing with these challenges are tried and tested.
Certificate of Sponsorship FAQ's
There are some visa routes which permit employment without the need for sponsorship. If the Migrant has a BRP card you can conduct a Right to Work Check to verify whether they can work. You must not employ anyone from overseas unless you have carried out the relevant Right to Work Checks and are satisfied that you have a statutory right of excuse.
The Certificate of sponsorship processing time in the defined category varies depending on demand. Usually if you submit an application for a Certificate of Sponsorship at the beginning of the month you should hear back within a week of submitting the request.
The UKVI processing fee for a defined Certificate of Sponsorship is £199 (no VAT)
A defined CoS is typically used to support a migrants’ initial application for Skilled Worker at Entry Clearance level.
The undefined Certificate of sponsorship may be allocated through the sponsor management system on an annual basis to support ongoing sponsorship of existing migrants.
How we can help
Our team of Business Immigration advisers specialise in sponsorship under Skilled Worker route, our aim is to streamline the end to end process, by extracting complex operational information and condensing it to meet UKVI criteria.
Exploring your options
- Initial ‘foundation’ virtual meeting to establish the overall intent and to identify any Human Resource compliance issues.
- Review the company to ensure they have adequate infrastructure and ability to employ and take on responsibility of the migrant.
Educating you on the steps
- Provide guidance on the appropriate Standard Occupational coding and salary requirements at the same time ensuring the role meets is a genuine vacancy.
- Advise on the right category of CoS and sponsorship term.
- Advise on specific timelines from recruitment of the individual to the start of their employment.
- Advise on the current processes for restricted Certificates of Sponsorship.
Preparing your case
- Documents list.
- Provision of company documentation
- Draft application for a CoS
- Supporting document file
Supporting you on the way
- Assist in the management of the CoS including Sponsor Notes and updates to the sponsorship of an individual.
- Respond to further UKVI requests or other anomalies associated with the Sponsor Licence.
- CoS aftercare whilst application is live.
Sponsor Licence, Sponsoring Workers, TVO News
Training Workshop – How do you apply for a Sponsor Licence?
Do you want to access skills from overseas and uncertain as to what to do next? The Skilled Worker immigration route is available to enable you to fill your skills shortage. Employing a specific skillset can be vital to the ...